Wednesday, August 6, 2008

John Steinbeck, Cannery Row, Me and Uncle Bob



The late great John Steinbeck wrote this about Monterey, California's Cannery Row-
"Its inhabitants are, as the man once said, 'whores, pimps, gamblers and sons of bitches,' by which he meant Everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said, 'Saints and angels and martyrs and holy men,' and he would have meant the same thing".

This quote has been with me for many years now. I don't know exactly why. For me, this sure fits in the telling of Uncle Bob. Uncle Bob was all theses things..whore, pimp, gambler. From another perspective Uncle Bob was a Saint, an angel, a holy man. I figure that's why my Dad loved him so. I think we are all of these things at some points in our lives. Hell, I can be all of these things in one lazy afternoon. I got some Uncle Bob in my blood. If you're honest, you probably do too. I'm gonna re-read Cannery Row for the 10th or so, time now. I loved it. Lee Chong's Grocery reminds me of the Mom and Pop store the wife and I have. I've got shit for Valentines Day in August if you need it. Christmas too! Cinco de Mayo? 4th of July? Can do easy. Wish I could go up the hill past Pacific Grove, and hunt frogs for Doc tonight with Mack and the boys. Good night all.

No comments: